Recipe by Layth Barzangi
A bizarre and totally outlandish twist on the traditional French toast idea. Conceived 3 years ago during one boring weekend morning. OK, enough bragging - see (taste) for yourself.
- 4 eggs
- 125 g cheddar cheese
- 8 slices bread (untoasted)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon white flour
- mortadella or turkey slice (as desired)
- olive oil
the seasoning (all ground) includes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat eggs thoroughly in large deep bowl.
- Add grated cheddar cheese (use fine end of grater).
- Add flour- sprinkle around for easier mixing.
- Add seasoning.
- Mix thoroughly with large spoon or electic mixer.
- The result is hereafter referred to as"The Mixture".
- Cut loaf slices in half diagonally (making triangles).
- Add olive oil to frying pan and heat on medium.
- Start by dipping loaf slices in The Mixture, make sure each slice is fully submerged for no more than 3 seconds.
- Remove loaf slice from The Mixture and place in frying pan.
- Make sure to fry both sides to a nice golden brown crisp (referred to hereafter as a"Toast Explosion").
- If there is still Mixture remaining after running out of loaf, pour in pan and make a quick omelet.
- Keep as side dish.
- Use remnant of olive oil in pan (now rich with all the seasoning from The Mixture), briefly fry the mortadella/turkey slices, just enough to give them a slight crisp.
- Put crisped mortadella/turkey between 2 Toast Explosions, forming something similar to a club sandwich.