Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I created this recipe for a contest at my husband's work. It comes out very crispy and is an interesting change to the regular chicken tender breading. We love it. We're also soy and dairy free so the recipe includes coconut milk instead of regular milk--I think the coconut milk gives it a very nice flavor. Enjoy!
- 2 cups baked potato chips
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) box panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cut in 1-oz . tenders
- olive oil (for frying)
- Grind or crush lays in a ziploc bag with a mallet or rolling pin, pour into a bowl with the breadcrumbs, set aside.
- Beat the egg with milk in a bowl, and set aside.
- Stir together the flour, onion and garlic powder, turmeric, salt and black pepper in a bowl. Set this aside also. (You're setting up a dredging station with three different shallow bowls—glass pie dishes work best).
- Dip the chicken pieces into the seasoned flour. Move around to coat well, shake off the excess flour.
- Dip into the egg/milk wash, coating well.
- Dip into the lays mixture, coating well.
- Set aside on plate to rest while heating oil.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet to 325 degrees.
- Drop coated chicken tenders into hot oil and cook until golden brown and fully cooked, 3 to 5 minutes depending on size.
- Drain on wire mesh rack suspended over a cookie sheet.
Definitely not something I'd want to make often (because of the saturated fat & cholesterol levels), BUT these chicken strips have such a wonderful taste that, once in a while would be great! I particularly liked the hint of coconut & with a mild salsa on the side, these were great! I look forward to including these on my finger food counter sometime when I host one of several monthly gatherings! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's round of Pick A Chef] Want to check out PAC? Click on this link = http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=327498