Recipe by Sharon123
A great recipe from Cooking Light! Here's to zucchini! A great alternative to traditional lasagna!
Top Review by Hill Family
So good ... I skined the zucchini to see if I could fool the family and it worked - no one had any idea there was no pasta. I made a few changes. I didn't pre cook the zucchini and think that might be why it was a bit extra wet. I used homemade sauce and an extra garlic clove. Made for a great dinner! Thanks
- 4 cups water
- 6 cups sliced zucchini (about 3 medium)
- 1 lb ground round (or use ground turkey, or meatless crumbles)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups reduced-fat spaghetti sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups fat-free cottage cheese (may use part ricotta or goat cheese)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs, divided
- 1 3⁄4 cups preshredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add zucchini; cook 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and cool. Or you may grill or saute the zucchini if you wish.
- Place the ground beef(or turkey or crumbles) and garlic in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until browned, stirring to break up meat. Stir in the spaghetti sauce, salt, basil, and oregano; cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Combine the cottage cheese, parsley, and eggs in a medium bowl.
- Arrange zucchini slices in a shallow 3-quart casserole coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle the zucchini with half of the breadcrumbs. Spread half of cottage cheese mixture over breadcrumbs; cover with half of the meat mixture and 1 cup mozzarella. Repeat the layers with the remaining breadcrumbs, cottage cheese mixture, and meat mixture; reserve the remaining mozzarella. Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella, and bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese melts.