Recipe by Domestic Goddess
A layered vegetable salad with lettuce, onion, celery, red bell peppers, peas, salad dressing, sugar, cucumbers, shredded cheese and bacon. Cooking time only counts for frying up the bacon. This is a family favorite recipe!
Top Review by KateL
4 Stars Very nice side salad, served alongside Aidell's Sundried Tomato hot dogs and baked beans. For layered salad, I expected more color contrast for presentation before serving individual portions; I would double the amount of red bell pepper next time. I appreciated the tip to blot the cucumber slices before chilling. Made for My 3 Chefs Spring 2008.
- 1 head lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper (Can substitute using green, orange or yellow peppers)
- 1 (9 ounce) bag frozen peas, thawed by running under hot water, then blotted with paper toweling
- 1 -1 1⁄4 cup salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced (blot with paper towels to remove excess moisture)
- 1 (8 ounce) packageshredded medium cheddar or 1 (8 ounce) package sharp cheddar cheese
- 10 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, layer salad with vegetables and ingredients in order given.
- Chill 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- This salad is best eaten, shortly after being made.
- Serves 8.
- Note: Sometimes I substitute 1-(8 oz.) can of well drained bamboo shoots for the sliced cucumbers. Just be sure to blot the bamboo shoots with paper toweling before placing them on the salad.