Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I saw this in a magazine today & wanted to keep the recipe as I have eaten lots of things like this. Simple, easy & tasty. I have suggested some optional additions, but that's up to you. If desired, you could also add some proscuitto or other meat for a non-vegetarian pie.
- 1 sheet prepared puff pastry
- 1 sheet prepared shortcrust pastry
- 300 g pumpkin
- 2 red peppers
- 300 g ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- nutmeg, to taste (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed (optional)
- 2 cups spinach, cooked
- 1 egg, beaten
- Peel and slice pumpkin into even sized pieces, then cook until just tender.
- Roast and peel the peppers, cut into large pieces.
- Mix the ricotta with parmesan, salt, pepper and garlic.
- Sprinkle a touch of nutmeg over the spinach (if using).
- Grease a deep baking dish or pie plate and line it with a circle of the shortcrust, making sure there's an overhang to seal the top.
- Layer the filling as follows: pumpkin, spinach, ricotta, red peppers.
- Brush the pastry edge with egg, then use the puff pastry to make a lid.
- Pinch the two pastries together to seal& brush the top with beaten egg.
- Make a small hole in the top to let steam escape.
- Bake at 200C (400F) for 20 minutes or until golden.
Yummmy. This was very simple and very tasty. I have made it twice now and the 2nd time I also added some even sized potato and carrot pieces when cooking the pumpkin. I then layered pumpkin, potato, spinach, ricotta,carrot,red peppers,and finally another spinach layer(I just love spinach). I will use a more nutmeg next time because it definately added a little something extra to the spinach.