Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 35 mins
This unusual 'cake' recipe was found in the 2009 cookbook, 100 Great Recipes -- Vegetarian.
Make and share this Layered Vegetable Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs, fresh, brown
- 1⁄3 cup sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper, to taste
- 11 ounces potatoes, peeled
- 11 ounces parsnips, peeled
- 1 large turnip, peeled
- 11 ounces sweet potatoes, peeled
- 11 ounces rutabagas, peeled
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F & lightly butter a deep cake pan 8 inches in diameter, then line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix together the breadcrumbs, cheese, herbs & garlic, then season to taste with salt & pepper, before sprinkling half of this crumb mixture over the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Slice all vegetables as thinly as possible, which is best done with a mandoline or in a food processor with a thin cutting disc.
- The vegetables are to be layered in the prepared pan ~ lightly seasoning with the crumb mixture every couple of layers ~ starting with half of the potatoes, then half of the parsnips, then half of the turnip, then half of the sweet potato & finally half of the rutabaga.
- At this point sprinkle a little more than half of the remaining breadcrumb mixture over everything, then start the entire process again, finally topping the last layer with the remaining crumb mixture.
- Whisk together the eggs, vegetable stock & cream then season lightly.
- Pour this mixture evenly over the layered vegetables & cover with aluminum foil, pinching around the edges to seal.
- Bake for 1 hour, then remove the foil & bake another 30 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler to high, then turn the cake onto a heatproof plate. Remove & discard the parchment paper lining before placing the cake under the broiler for 4 or 5 minutes or until it is crisp & golden.
- Let it cool just slightly, then cut into wedges & serve.
This was really good with no modifications. Just make sure to thoroughly read and follow the directions.