This is my kids' favorite tuna casserole, which is very simple to make and very easy on the budget. NOTE: I also like to add a cup of frozen peas on top of the tuna layer...(That is optional)
- 16 ounces medium noodles (I use Amish Noodles, that I find in the pasta section of my grocer.)
- 2 (6 ounce) cans albacore tuna in water
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise (I use Hellman's)
- 10 3⁄4 ounces whole milk (1 soup can full)
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups Ritz crackers, smashed
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- salt & pepper
- Cook noodles according to package directions, undercooking just slightly. Drain.
- In a 13 x 9 inch greased casserole dish, arrange cooked noodles evenly on the bottom.
- Add both cans of tuna with juice from can, evenly on top of noodles.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix both cans of soup and the mayonnaise with 1 10.7 ounce can full of milk and stir until smooth.
- Add soup mixture evenly on top of casserole.
- Add shredded cheddar cheese evenly on top.
- Add smashed Ritz crackers evenly on top. Dot the top with the butter or margarine.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree (preheated) oven for 35 minutes, until top is slightly golden brown.
- Let sit for 5 minutes.