Recipe by Juju Bee
I originally got this recipe from my Great Grandma Ce. But I came up with the layered idea. Originally there were no corn tortillas, and it was more like a sort of meat loaf pie. This recipe is interesting, very tasty, and kid-friendly too!
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 1⁄2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn kernels
- 2⁄3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 8 corn tortillas
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese or 3 cups Mexican blend cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in large skillet and add onions; cook until tender, but not brown.
- Add beef, brown well and Drain.
- Mix in the Taco Seasoning and 3/4 Cup water; let simmer for 5 minutes, uncovered, stirring frequently, until spice mixture is no longer runny.
- Stir crushed tomatoes, corn, and cornmeal into the meat; mix well.
- In an 9X9 round pyrex (or well greased metal) baking dish, place 4 of the 8 tortillas on the bottom, spread out, to cover the pan, add 1/2 of the meat mixture over the tortillas,and then 1/2 of the cheese.
- Repeat this layering process, ending in cheese.
- Place in oven to heat through, and melt cheese (about 25 minutes).
- Cut into 8 pieces across, as you would a pie.