Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Feel free to add cooked chorizo if you wish!
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil or 1 teaspoon cooking spray
- 3 cups sliced onions
- 2 1⁄2 cups sliced zucchini, on the thin side but not so thin they fall apart when cooked
- 1 3⁄4 cups juillened red and yellow sweet bell peppers
- 2 poblano chiles, sliced into rings
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup whole kernel corn, fresh or frozen and thawed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 5 flour tortillas or 5 fresh corn tortillas
- 1 1⁄2 cups green taco sauce, like tomatillo
- 2 cups shredded jalapeno jack cheese or 2 cups regular monterey jack cheese
- Place water in beans in a food processor or blender and puree to smooth.
- Set aside.
- In a large heavy skillet over medium high heat add the oil-or pre spray cold.
- Add the onion, zucchini, peppers and garlic, and saute for about 10 minutes.
- Add the corn, cumin, and red pepper flakes cooking for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly oil a 3 quart round baking dish-or slice your tortillas to fit a square one.
- Place a small amount of sauce on the bottom of prepared dish, then a tortilla, then the bean mixture, onion/pepper mixture, sauce then cheese.
- Repeat ending with cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly.