Recipe by Kitchen Quarterback
Garnish each serving with diced fresh tomatoes, sliced black olives, sliced green onions and sour cream, if desired.
Top Review by StaceyRabbitFace
This is pretty good. it doesn't really set up like a casserole, it's pretty mushy on the plate, but it's rich and tasty. I didn't read the part that said "garnish with tomatoes, olives etc." and kept saying "this would be good with like tomatoes or sour cream". Boyfriend liked it, so I will add this to my casserole repetoire.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup taco sauce
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 12 taco shells, broken, divided
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat an 11x7-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion until beef is browned; drain. Stir in taco sauce, water, chiles and seasoning mix; blend well. Reduce heat to low and cook for 3-4 minutes; stir frequently. Remove from heat.
- Layer half of the broken taco shells on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with half of the meat mixture and then half of the cheese. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until hot and bubbly and the cheese is melted.