Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) package butter recipe cake mix
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup strawberry preserves, divided
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 quarts fresh strawberries, sliced
- fresh strawberries, for garnish
- In a bowl, beat the first 4 ingredients together at low speed using an electric mixer until cake mix is moistened.
- Beat at medium speed 4 minutes.
- Pour batter into 2 greased/floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- Bake in a preheated 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a pick comes out clean.
- Cool on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans.
- Brush top of each cake layer with 2 tablespoons preserves; cool on wire racks.
- Beat remaining preserves with cream and powdered sugar at high speed with electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Place 1 cake layer on serving plate; arrange half of strawberries over layer; top with half of whipped cream mixture; place 2nd cake layer atop.
- Repeat procedure with 2nd layer--arrange strawberries and top with whipped cream mixture.
- Garnish with fresh berries, if desired.