Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This has been a summer staple in our family for about 30 years-where it originally came from, I don't know. My Mom & I have been avid cooks since I was a child and we both collect recipes from everywhere & fool around ourselves,quite a bit. You can use boiled ham from the deli and canned bacon bits for no cooking at all. It's also very easy to expand the recipe for pot lucks, parties, or a buffet.
- 5 ounces fresh spinach, in small pieces
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sugar
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb boiled ham, cut in julienne strips
- 1 head lettuce, shredded
- 10 ounces frozen peas, thawed
- 1 pint mayonnaise
- 1 pint sour cream
- 1⁄2 lb swiss cheese, cut in julienne strips
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, cooked & crumbled
- In a large glass bowl, layer in order as listed in the ingredient list spinach through peas.
- Mix together the mayonaise& the sour cream&"frost" over the top.
- Cover with plastic wrap& refrigerate 6-8 hrs or overnight.
- Top with the swiss cheese& then the bacon bits.
- (I've used non-fat sour cream& lo-fat mayo or soy mayo- and it's been fine) I love this on a hot summer day w/ a loaf of crusty Italian bread!
We make nearly this recipe. The only thing we add is red pepper rings in a layer after eggs. Also, we add a layer of crumbled bacon and top with the bacon bits as you have here. This is delicious and gets better after a day in the fridge. simply a wonderful layered salad!