Recipe by Lvs2Cook
A bit different from your usual layered salads.
Top Review by Donna Matthews
This was a really good salad. It took me a LOT longer than 20 minutes to prepare the ingredients, but the ability to make it ahead is wonderful. Not having any serving instructions, I tossed all the ingredients together just before setting it out at a potluck. It was so creamy that I think I might try only 1 cup of mayo next time. I also think that with an average head of iceberg, there would be enough to serve 24 people. It was perfect for a large neighborhood potluck. A great blend of flavors! Especially liked what the bacon added.
- 1 cup kraft Catalina dressing, divided
- 1 (10 ounce) bag fresh spinach, torn into bite sized pieces, divided
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 5 hardboiled egg, sliced
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
- 1 red onion, sliced into thin rings
- granulated sugar
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 3 cups swiss cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 4 quart bowl, spread 3/4 cup Catalina salad dressing in bottom.
- Layer three-fourths of the spinach on top and pack down. (Be sure spinach is very dry.) Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with bacon and layer with sliced eggs.
- Then layer with iceberg lettuce. Pack down.
- Layer with peas then onion rings. Sprinkle with sugar to taste.
- Spread with mayonnaise, creating a 3/4 inch layer.
- Sprinkle Swiss cheese over mayonnaise.
- Add remaining spinach.
- Drizzle with remaining Catalina salad dressing.
- Cover and chill overnight.