Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Colorful! Great for summer dinners with BBQ chicken or fish. I almost never make it the same way twice - but be sure to use bell peppers or celery for a nice crunch.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- 12 cups baby spinach leaves, stems removed, loosely packed
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes or 3 cups grape tomatoes
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, seeded, cut into quarters, and sliced thin
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded, cut into quarters, and sliced thin
- 2 (15 ounce) cans reduced sodium black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 4 ounces reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 medium avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl whisk together olive oil, lemon or lime juice, vinegar, mustard, and pepper. Set aside.
- In a deep, clear, glass bowl, layer the salad as follows: 6 cups spinach leaves, 1 1/2 cups tomatoes, 1/2 yellow bell pepper, 1/2 red bell pepper, 1 cup beans, 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat the layers. Top the salad with avocado.
- To serve, pass salad around table followed by the dressing.