Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This has been a favorite for many years. I really like Jr. League cookbooks--this is another trusted recipe.
- 2 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, mined
- 2 (16 ounce) cans red kidney beans
- 1 cup Burgundy wine (or any good robust red wine)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (I sometime use catsup if I don't have paste open)
- 3⁄4 lb smoked sausage, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- Sauté onions and green pepper in butter for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, and add beans.
- In another pan bring the wine and bay leaf to a boil.
- Add the tomato paste to hot wine and stir until dissolve.
- Arrange beans and sliced sausage in layers in a 9x13-inch casserole.
- Salt and pepper each layer.
- Remove bay leaf from the wine mixture and pour this over top of beans and sausage. Bake at 350°F for 40-50 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
- Note; I am posting as it appears in the cookbook, however I do sauté in olive oil and it turns out fine and turkey sausage works.