Recipe by Bergy
This is heavenly but not for the dieter! I haven't made it for a long time but it is just beautiful to serve and I guarantee that you will get raves! Follow the baking steps exactly.
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled & thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 package 198gram puff pastry, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- salt & pepper (white pepper is best)
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a lot pot of water to a boil and place the potatoes in the water.
- Bring water back to a boil, reduce hear to medium-low& simmer for only 3 minutes.
- Drain potatoes well and cool to where you can handle them.
- Spread potatoes on clean tea towels to finish cooling and remove all moisture.
- Roll out your puff pastry on a lightly floured surface to apprx 13" x 1/8" thick and place in a 9" pie plate, trim off the excess& save the cut off pastry.
- Heat oven to 425F.
- Arrange a layer of potatoes in the lined pie plate.
- Drizzle with some melted butter, salt & pepper.
- Repeat layers until all the potaoes,butter salt & pepper are in the pie.
- Roll out the left over puff pastry to apprx 1/8" and cut ten 1/2" strips.
- Brush the edges of the pie with the egg mixture.
- Arrange strips lattice fashion over the potatoes pressing edges to seal.
- Brush lattice with the egg mixture.
- Place pie on a baking sheet and bake 15 minutes in the 425f oven until the pastry begins to brown.
- Reduce heat to 350Fbake for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are almost tender.
- Take the pie out of the oven and very carefully pour the whipping cream into the spaces between the lattice strips.
- Return pie to the oven 350f for a further 35 minutes until the pastry is golden and the cream is bubbly.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- cut in wedges and serve.