Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr 6 mins
Great for potlucks and you can prepare ahead of time.
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in half
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (300 g) package frozen chopped spinach (thawed)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 (300 g) packagefrozen cooked squash (thawed)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried ginger
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Cook potatoes until tender 20-30 minutes. Drain and mash potatoes. Stir in 2 Tbsp butter, sour cream and 1/2 teaspoons salt.
- Squeeze spinach until fairly dry and place in medium bowl. Stir in green onion, egg and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Drain liquid form thawed squash. In a separate bowl combine squash with 1 tbsp butter, ginger and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Grease large casserole (2litre or 8 cup) Spoon 1/3 potato mixture into casserole and spread smooth.
- Spread evenly with all squash mixture. Spread 1/2 of the remaining potato mixture, then all the spinach mixture. Top with layer of remaining potato. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake at 350°F uncovered until hot and cheese is lightly golden. 55-65 minutes.
- Can be made and refrigerated for up to one day. Bake covered for 30 minutes then cover and continue to bake for about 1 hour.