Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is so different from your average side dishes.
- 2 large potatoes
- 3 medium green apples
- 1 medium onion
- 50 g cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 250 ml double cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- melted butter or vegetable oil, for brushing
- Preheat the oven 180 c/ 350 F.
- Brush large, shallow ovenproof dish with melted butter or oil.
- Peel the pototoes and cut into thin slices.
- Peel, core and quarter the apples, then cut the quarters into thin slices.
- Slice the onion into very fine rings.
- Arrange the sliced potatoes, apples and onion in layers in the prepared dish, finishing with a layer of potatoes.
- Sprinkle evenly with the grated Cheddar cheese.
- Pour the cream over the top covering the surface as evenly as possible.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg, and pepper to taste.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
- Remove the dish from the oven and allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Clara, I thought this dish was fabulous. I wanted something other than ordinary potatoes and this did the trick. Thanks! I used Sweet Videlia Onions in combination with the Apples and Potatoes. Delicious!