Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
This recipe reminds me of those big, fun family dinners we used to have when I was a kid. This is one of my favorite recipes of my grandmother's. The layers consist of a nutty baked bottom crust, creamy cheesecake-like center and top layer of pistachio pudding. If desired, you could also use any other flavor of pudding mix. Yummy!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 (8 ounce) packages pistachio pudding mix
- 3 cups milk
- Press first three ingredients into a 13" x 9" pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Allow to cool thoroughly.
- Beat Cool Whip, cream cheese and confectionery sugar with electric mixer; spread over cooled crust.
- Beat pudding mix and milk well with electric mixer on low setting. Let mixture stand until set. Then carefully spread over cream cheese layer.
- Cover and refrigerate for one hour. Slice into 2" x 2" pieces.
- Store refrigerated for up to five days.
This recipe reminds me of my childhood! To make it a little easier, I generally use a crust of crushed Nilla wafers mixed with melted butter or a graham cracker crust. I also only use half the sugar for the cream cheese layer to make it a little less sweet and let the cream cheese flavor stand out.
Perfect dessert for our Christmas Eve get together. I was looking for something fun and festive and this fit the bill. We loved it. I followed your recipe, except I add a layer of Cool Whip on top of the pudding. Thank you for a lovely dessert that we all loved.
I absolutely love this recipe! I substituted pecans for the crust, and used lemon pudding instead of pistachio. Simply delicious! Thank you for sharing! : )