Recipe by Linda Thomas
This big and tasty sandwich, inspired by a New York deli, is a favorite at our football parties or any gathering. Kids and adults both say it's super.
Top Review by Artsy Chef
Took this to a church picnic and it was a big hit. Taste is a wonderful combination of savory oils and herbs and is delicious. The basil is a nice touch. Even the people watching their carbs ate the innards like a salad. Cutting instructions weren't included. I started off slicing it across, but the "sandwiches" were too large. I finally settled on slicing it down the length of the loaf and then across 5 times so I had 6 sections/side, giving me the 12 servings/loaf. This works if you have a wide loaf of Italian bread. I also had to use toothpicks to hold the sandwiches together. However, it is so thick, the toothpicks were really too small. I recommend larger skewers. I would definately make this again for a social for family gathering. Don't waste the bread you dug out. I used it to make a small breakfast casserole. You can also use it to make a small bread pudding, bread crumbs, etc.
- 2 loaves unsliced Italian bread (1 lb. each)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning, divided
- 1⁄2 lb deli roast beef
- 3⁄4 lb sliced mozzarella cheese
- 16 fresh basil leaves
- 3 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 lb thinly sliced salami
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) packageready-to-serve salad greens
- 1⁄2 lb roasted deli chicken
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut loaves in half horizontally and hollow out tops and bottoms, leaving 1/2" of bread in shells. Discard removed bread.
- Combine oil and garlic; brush inside bread shells.
- Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning.
- Layer bottom of each loaf with a fourth of the roast beef, mozzarella, basil, tomatoes, salami, artichokes, salad greens, chicken and onion. Repeat layers.
- Season with salt, pepper and remaining 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning and drizzle with remaining oil mixture if desired.
- Replace bread tops; wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before slicing. Enjoy!