This is such a beautiful dinner! I especially like making it around the holidays cuz the layers are basically red, and green. But it's great any time! A good way to sneak in some vegies for the kids.
- Break vermicelli into thirds and cook,& drain.
- Saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Mix with vermicelli, 1/2 Cup Romano and 1 egg.
- Press into bottom of well greased 9" springform pan.
- Mix 2 egg yolks, ricotta, spinach, and 1/2 cup romano.
- Spread over pasta layer.
- Beat 2 egg whites till stiff. Fold in 1 1/2 cups pasta sauce.Pour on top.
- Bake at 350º 50-60 minute till set.
- Let stand at least 10 minutes before cutting.
- Garnish with heated leftover sauce and parsley sprigs.
This is such an easy dish to put together quickly, looks beautiful, and everyone loves it. I've been making this for years.
Very nice! I would have given this 5 stars, but my husband didn't like it. It looked beautiful coming out of the springform pan, and sliced very nicely, even though I messed up and put almost the whole jar of sauce in with the egg whites instead of 1.5 cups! I added roasted garlic into the ricotta mixture and loved the flavor it gave. The topping is very interesting, like a tomato souffle and I can't wait to serve this to my vegetarian friends. Best of all, it uses pantry ingredients and was a snap to put together. Thanks!
I made this exactly as described, no changes and it was wonderful. The DH and kids liked it.Thanks for a wonderful recipe!