Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) jar pasta sauce with mushrooms
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 8 ounces small shell pasta, cooked
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- shredded parmesan cheese
- Place spinach in a fine wire-mesh strainer over a bowl; press spinach with the back of a spoon to remove juice.
- Measure juice and add enough water to measure 1 cup; set spinach and spinach liquid aside.
- In a large skillet over med-high heat, cook beef, onion, and garlic for 5-6 minutes, stirring until beef crumbles and is no longer pink; drain and return to skillet.
- Stir in spinach liquid, spaghetti sauce, and the next 4 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Decrease heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Toss pasta with vegetable oil; stir in spinach, cheddar cheese, breadcrumbs, and eggs.
- Spread into a lightly greased 13x9 inch pan; top with beef mixture.
- Bake, covered, in a preheated 350° oven for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.