Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Southern Living Cooking School.
Make and share this Layered Pasta Bake recipe from Food.com.
- 8 ounces penne
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1 (15 ounce) jar pasta sauce with mushrooms (aka spaghetti sauce with mushrooms)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 (16 ounce) container small curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water according to package directions; drain.
- Toss pasta with oil; spoon into a lightly greased 13x9 inch baking dish; set aside.
- In a skillet over med-high heat, cook the beef, onion, and garlic for 5-6 minutes or until beef is browned, stirring to crumble beef; drain and return to skillet.
- Add wine, spaghetti sauce, and next 3 ingredients to skillet; bring to a boil.
- Decrease heat and simmer 10 minutes; stir in ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- In a bowl, combine cottage cheese, ½ cup parmesan cheese, ½ cup mozzarella cheese, remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper, and eggs; spoon mixture over the pasta.
- Spread beef mixture over the top.
- Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup parmesan and ½ cup mozzarella; top with bread crumbs.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly.