1 hr 20 mins
From Southern Living Cooking School.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces penne
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 (15 ounce) jar pasta sauce with mushrooms (aka spaghetti sauce with mushrooms)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 (16 ounce) container small curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1Cook pasta in boiling salted water according to package directions; drain.
- 2Toss pasta with oil; spoon into a lightly greased 13x9 inch baking dish; set aside.
- 3In a skillet over med-high heat, cook the beef, onion, and garlic for 5-6 minutes or until beef is browned, stirring to crumble beef; drain and return to skillet.
- 4Add wine, spaghetti sauce, and next 3 ingredients to skillet; bring to a boil.
- 5Decrease heat and simmer 10 minutes; stir in ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- 6In a bowl, combine cottage cheese, ½ cup parmesan cheese, ½ cup mozzarella cheese, remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper, and eggs; spoon mixture over the pasta.
- 7Spread beef mixture over the top.
- 8Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup parmesan and ½ cup mozzarella; top with bread crumbs.
- 9Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Layered Pasta Bake
Serving Size: 1 (314 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 480.9
- Calories from Fat 196
- Total Fat 21.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 122.1 mg
- Sodium 1424.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 32.0 g