Recipe by twissis
This is my final recipe from *Stroganov to Strudel* (Great Traditional Cooking From Germany, Austria, Hungary & the Czech Republic). Every *finale* should be a yummy dessert, right? So I chose to spotlight the Hungarian cuisine w/this recipe that had a stunning pic & IMO resembles (in flavor) the German pancakes usually eaten for breakfast. Per the intro: "Pancakes in Hungary were originally very basic food (made w/only cornflour & water) & then cooked over an open fire. The relative absence of ovens accounts for today's great variety of pancake recipes (both sweet & savory) in this part of the world. This unusual layered pancake Gateau is just 1 example of this tradition." *Enjoy* !
FOR THE PANCAKES
- 5 eggs (separated)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup self-rising flour (sifted)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- powdered sugar (sifted, for dusting)
- lemon wedge (garnish to serve)
FOR THE FILLING
- 3 eggs (separated)
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1 lemon, rind of, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 1 cup ground almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR THE PANCAKES: Preheat oven to Gas Mark 6 (200C or 400F). Grease & line w/parchment paper a deep 8-9-in springform cake tin.
- Whisk egg yolks & sugar in a bowl till thick & creamy b4 whisking in the milk. Whisk egg whites in a grease-free bowl till stiff.
- Fold egg whites into the egg yolk mixture, alternating w/spoonfuls of the flour & 2 tbsp of the melted butter.
- Using a non-stick crepe or frying pan as near to the size of your prepared cake tin as possible, lightly grease it with 1/2 tbsp of the remaining melted butter & use a pastry brush to spread over the surface.
- Ladle 1/4 of the batter into the pan & fry the thick pancake on ea side till golden brown. Then slide it into the prepared cake tin. Repeat process using 1/2 tbsp of the melted butter ea time to make 3 more pancakes in the same way & set them aside while you make the filling.
- FOR THE FILLING: Whisk egg yolks in a bowl w/the icing sugar till thick & creamy. Stir in the grated lemon rind & vanilla sugar.
- Whisk egg whites in a separate bowl. Fold them into the egg yolk mixture b4 adding the ground almonds & mix together well.
- TO ASSEMBLE GATEAU: Spread 1/3 of the filling mixture on top of the 1st pancake in the prepared cake tin. Repeat twice more w/the 2nd & 3rd pancakes & top w/the final pancake.
- Spread sour cream over the top & bake for 20-25 min or till the top is a pale golden brown.
- Remove from oven & leave in the cake tin for at least 10 min b4 releasing the springform pan & removing the gateau & paper lining.
- TO SERVE: Transfer gateau to a serving platter, cut into 6-8 wedges & serve warm, liberally dusted w/powdered sugar & the lemon wedges on the side.
- PERS NOTE: This may horrify more purist & experienced pastry chefs, but I'm really into prep made easy. While entering this recipe, I kept thinking to myself -- Since we're using a non-stick crepe or frying pan for the pancakes, why not use spray PAM (butter flavored if that settles your mind) vs the butter? Just a thought :-).