Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is my daughter Kerri's most requested recipe. The cream must be thick enough to spread, not a whipping cream, one that is quite thick when bought. Update: I forgot to buy refried beans today but I found a great recipe here on Food.com by Elizabeth Fullerton, her Refried Beans. I will be using this instead of buying from the supermarket in future, it was so good.
- 1 (435 g) can refried beans (we use Old el Paso)
- 300 ml double cream (we use Delicious Dollop)
- 1 (35 g) packet taco seasoning mix, only use 1/2 to 3/4 (we use Old el Paso,)
- 1 avocado (diced into 1cm pieces)
- 1 large tomatoes, ripe (diced into 1cm pieces)
- cracked pepper
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup cheese, grated
- Using a large shallow serving dish like a flan dish layer each of the ingredients as follows:.
- Spread the refried chilli beans on the bottom of dish.
- Mix double cream with taco seasoning and make this the next layer.
- Dice avocado and tomato into 1 cm pieces and make this the third layer - season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the cheese over leaving some colour showing through.
- Serve at room temperature with corn chips.
Very nice recipe, I think it needed a layere of salsa too (or add it into the refried beans and stir through), was not quite there fo me. We added sliced olives and a good squeeze of lemon juice as it needed it (all over) before adding the cheese. With these few alteration this recipe would be superb, I will make again after tweaking it.