Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Try this delicious Layered Mexican Casserole recipe.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 (12 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle chunky salsa
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) canripe sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 cup cream-style cottage cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 5 cups tortilla chips
- 2 cups shredded wisconsin cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped tomato
- Brown meat; drain.
- Add corn and salsa; cook until thoroughly heated.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons olives; stir remaining olives into meat mixture.
- Combine cottage cheese and sour cream.
- In 2 quart casserole, layer 2 cups chips, half of meat mixture, 3/4 cup Cheddar cheese and half of cottage cheese mixture. Repeat layers; cover.
- Bake at 350° F for 35 minutes.
- Stand up remaining chips around edge of casserole. Top casserole with tomato, reserved olives and remaining Cheddar cheese. Continue baking 10 minutes.
I originally got this recipe from my mother-in-law. It is absolutely the best casserole dish I have made. Easy, delicious and makes great leftovers. The only adjustment I make is I use 1 1/2 cups of chunky salsa.
I made this for a party, and everyone LOVED it. I made a vegetarian version, using a 15 oz can of black beans instead of the ground beef. I also used 16 oz salsa, frozen corn and left off the tomatoes. I also had a ground beef chili mac, and no one even tried it...everyone had 2 or 3 servings of this. Definitely a crowd pleaser. The tortilla chips did get soggy in the casserole, which was fine when it was hot, but I'm guessing that they won't hold up as well as leftovers. EDIT: Leftovers were just fine!
I saw this in the "Please Review My Recipe" thread, but someone beat me to tagging it. Anyway, I was looking for something easy using ground beef, so I chose this one. I ended up using a full pound of ground beef, a 15 oz. can of corn, a 16 oz. jar of salsa and subbed plain yogurt for the sour cream. I also left out the olives since I have a couple of picky eaters, but I think next time I'll add them and let them pick them out. ; ) Anyway, it was very good, and easy to throw together. My husband has requested that I make it again, so into the recipe book it goes! Thanks!