1/1 Photo of Layered Mediterranean Mozzarella Eggplant (Aubergine) Bake
If anyone is searching for an absolute fantastic eggplant recipe, then this is one you will have to try! To save time combine the bread crumb mixture, and fry the onion and garlic ahead of time or even a day ahead. I would suggest to double this recipe, otherwise you might tend to eat the whole casserole yourself LOL... it is that good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (can use butter mixed with oil)
- 1 large onion, sliced (if you like onions, then use two)
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- salt or seasoning salt
- 2 lbs tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried basil)
- 2 cups dry breadcrumbs (seasoned with seasoning salt, pepper and garlic powder and 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese)
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 3 lbs eggplants, peeled and cut crosswise into about 3/8-inch thick slices
- 1Prepare a cookie sheet and coat with non-stick cooking spray (you might need two sheets for the eggplant slices).
- 2In a bowl mix bread crumbs with about 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt, pepper 1 teaspoon garlic powder and 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese).
- 3In a shallow baking dish or bowl dip the eggplant slices in the egg whites and then coat in the seasoned bread crumb mixture.
- 4Place the eggplant slices on prepared baking sheet/s and spray the eggplant slices liberally with cooking spray; set aside.
- 5In a medium frypan heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- 6Add in onion and garlic; cook until softened.
- 7Add in oregano, 1 teaspoon salt or seasoning salt and pepper; cook for 1 minute.
- 8Increase heat to high and add in the chopped tomatoes; cook until thickened (about 10-12 minutes) then remove from heat, add/mix in basil (if you are using dry basil add in with the oregano),.
- 9Set oven to broil and broil the eggplant slices one pan at a time for 3-5 minutes (per side) until brown.
- 10Set oven to 400 degrees.
- 11Layer the eggplant slices in a greased 1-1/2 - 2-quart baking dish.
- 12Top with the tomato/onion mixture.
- 13Then top the slices with mozzarella cheese and remaining 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese.
- 14Bake uncovered until cheese is bubbly, about 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Layered Mediterranean Mozzarella Eggplant (Aubergine) Bake
Serving Size: 1 (770 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 665.8
- Calories from Fat 261
- Total Fat 29.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 51.5 mg
- Sodium 948.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.3 g
- Sugars 19.8 g
- Protein 32.3 g