Recipe by Dancer^
This is a very interesting sandwich, I have made it a few times and each time it tastes a little different. I love it.
- 2 cups thick & chunky salsa
- 1 tablespoon dried sweet basil leaves
- 1⁄4 cup canned sliced pimiento (drained)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced pitted ripe olives
- 1 loaf round Italian bread or 1 loaf sourdough bread or 1 loaf pumpernickel bread (10 inches)
- 1⁄2 lb cooked roast beef or 1⁄2 lb deli roast beef, very thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 1 cup finely shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Cut the loaf in half horizontally.
- Leaving a 1-inch border, scoop out a 1/2-inch layer from the inside of each half.
- Spread the salsa mixture evenly over both halves, including border.
- On the bottom half, layer half the cheese, all of the beef, and top with remaining cheese.
- Pack filling down slightly.
- Carefully invert the top half onto the bottom half.
- Press down firmly on the loaf and wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
- Store the loaf in the refrigerator for 15 to 30 minutes (or overnight) between 2 plates with something heavy on top to keep the loaf flattened.
- Serve sliced in wedges with your favourite salad or to serve warm, wrap in foil and place in preheated 300 degree oven for 15 to 30 minutes until cheese melts.