25 hrs 40 mins
This is great to take to potlucks, you can prepare the complete casserole and refrigerate until ready to bake, adjust all seasonings to suit taste. To save time you can cook the sauce up to 48 hours in advance, in fact I advise to do so this will allow the flavors will blend together. If you prefer creamier layers increase the cottage cheese to 4 cups. Prep time does not include cooking the tomato sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb pork sausage (or use 1 pound ground beef)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 2 -3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional or to taste)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper (to taste)
- 3 cups uncooked macaroni noodles
- 3 cups creamy cottage cheese
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 cups grated mozzarella cheese, divided (or use as much as desired, or use cheddar cheese)
- 1Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- 2For the sauce; cook the ground beef or sausage meat with onion and garlic, chili powder, basil, oregano and cayenne; cook until browned; drain fat.
- 3Add in tomato paste and stir over medium-low heat for 2 minutes.
- 4Add in crushed tomatoes, bring to simmer and cook uncovered over medium-low heat stirring occasionally for 1-1/2 to 2 hours (the longer this sauce cooks the thicker and richer it will be, if you find that the sauce is too thick add in some water and continue cooking).
- 5Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
- 6Meanwhile cook the macaroni pasta until just al dente (do not overcook the pasta) drain then place into a bowl.
- 7Add in 3 cups cottage cheese, 1 cup grated mozzeralla cheese, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper; mix to combine with a wooden spoon.
- 8Spread about 1-1/2 cups cup meat sauce into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- 9Top meat sauce (just dollup the meat sauce then spread with a spoon, you do not have to cover completely with the meat sauce) then with 1/3 of the cottage cheese/macaroni mixture, then sprinkle about 1 cup shredded mozzeralla or cheddar cheese.
- 10Repeat the layers 2 more times (make certain to save some meat sauce for the top of the casserole).
- 11Top with remaining meat sauce.
- 12In a small bowl combine the topping ingredients together until blended, then sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
- 13At this point you can cover the casserole and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- 14Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- 15Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Layered Meat and Cottage Cheese Macaroni Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (438 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 705.5
- Calories from Fat 316
- Total Fat 35.1 g
- Saturated Fat 17.6 g
- Cholesterol 112.5 mg
- Sodium 1886.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 44.2 g