Recipe by Beaner in Washington
This recipe came from an old Pine to Prairie Cookbook that the recipes were donated to. The telephone Pioneers of America made the book. My mother gave me three of these cookbooks and our family has used a lot of the recipes. This book has recipes from people who live all over the state of Minnesota. This is Yummy and great for a crowd, picnic, or holiday get togethers!
Top Review by Merlot
What a great make-ahead salad for a group!!! I followed the recipe exactly as stated. Made it a couple of hours ahead of time and it kept very well in the refrigerator. VERY TASTY and I recommend everyone give this a try. Thanks again Beaner for sharing this dish. :-)
- 1 head lettuce
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 4 hardboiled egg, sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup diced green pepper
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 8 slices bacon, fried and diced
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 ounces grated cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Tear the cleaned crisp lettuce into small bite sized pieces and place in the bottom of 9x12 inch cake pan.
- Layer the rest of the ingredients in the order given, do not cook peas.
- Add the sugar to the mayonnaise and spread over the top as you would frosting.
- Top with grated cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate for 8 to 10 hours.
- Bacon bits can be used for bacon.