1/1 Photo of Layered Lemon Pie
Sydney Mike's Note:
I've tweaked this recipe just slightly to make a single pie. The original was found in the Feb/Mar 2010 cooking magazine, Taste of Home, and this lemon lover couldn't resist posting it here! Preparation time does not include the time for each of the several layers to cool to room temperature and/or set.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 unbaked 9-inch deep dish pie pastry
FOR THE BOTTOM LAYER
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice (yes, again!)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
FOR THE MIDDLE LAYER
- 4 ounces low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk (2% fat)
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant lemon pudding mix
FOR THE TOP LAYER
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2Line a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate with pastry, and trim and flute the edges. DO NOT PRICK THE BOTTOM OF THE PASTRY, but line the pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil.
- 3Bake for 8 minutes; remove the foil and bake another 5 to 7 minutes longer or until the pastry is golden brown.
- 4Cool on a wire rack.
- 5FOR THE BOTTOM LAYER:.
- 6In a large saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt; stir in the water until smooth.
- 7Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly.
- 8Reduce heat and cook, stirring for another 2 minutes, before removing from the heat.
- 9Stir a small amount of this hot filling into the beaten egg yolks, then return everything to the saucepan, stirring constantly.
- 10Bring to a gentle boil, then cook and stir 2 minutes longer before removing from the heat.
- 11Gently stir in the lemon juice, butter, lemon zest, extract and food coloring (if using), stirring until butter is melted.
- 12Set aside and cool to room temperature without any additional stirring.
- 13When cooled, spread lemon mixture into the cooled crust and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
- 14FOR THE MIDDLE LAYER:.
- 15In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth, then gradually beat in the milk.
- 16Add pudding mix and beat 2 minutes more, then let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
- 17When soft-set, gently spread this mixture on top of the 1st (bottom) layer, then refrigerate for 30 minutes or until set.
- 18FOR THE TOP LAYER:.
- 19In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth.
- 20Fold in the thawed whipped topping and spread this over the top of the pie.
- 21Refrigerate until set then cut, serve and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Layered Lemon Pie
Serving Size: 1 (172 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 441.4
- Calories from Fat 206
- Total Fat 22.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 65.4 mg
- Sodium 385.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 34.2 g
- Protein 5.6 g