Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is so good! and it has no cake in it. Someone saw the one I made and didn't believe I made it! I can't even believe I made it! It's so easy, all you need besides the ingredients is a springform pan, wax paper, and cooking spray. I love this recipe because there are infinite ways you can change what you use--I used different caramel type ice creams the first time I made it. Instead of pints, I just bought the larger ice creams because they were the same price. I just measured out the size of a pint-which is 2 cups. Next time I am going to use cheesecake filling, strawberry gel, and strawberry cheesecake ice cream! There are endless possibilities! I got the recipe from a Family Circle magazine, and the recipe makes a neopolitan-like cake, but you can change the ice creams to whatever you want! Great for a hot summer's day, and it's a fun way to eat your favorite ice creams!
- 15 Oreo cookies
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 8 -9 ice cream sandwiches, depending on size
- 1 pint mint chocolate chip ice cream
- 1 pint vanilla frozen yogurt
- 1 pint strawberry ice cream or 1 pint frozen yogurt
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- **You can use any kind of ice cream or frozen yogurt you want-be creative!**.
- Coat bottom and side of a 9-inch round springform pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line side with waxed paper, using spray to help adhere to pan. Trim paper to height of pan.
- Finely crush 12 Oreos in a food processor. Add milk; pulse just until mixture holds together. Set aside.
- Unwrap 4 ice cream sandwiches. Working quickly, cut each in quarters (cut once horizontally, once vertically). Stack strips of sandwiches on end, packing them snugly together, around wax-paper-lined pan. Repeat with remaining sandwiches to form a stand-up edge. Spoon cookie crumbs into center of pan; press firmly over bottom. Freeze 1 hour.
- Remove all 3 flavors of ice cream or frozen yogurt from freezer and let soften for 15 minutes at room temperature. Transfer mint ice cream to a small bowl and stir until good but firm spreading consistency. Repeat with vanilla and strawberry. Remove pan from freezer. Spread mint ice cream on bottom, then top with vanilla and strawberry, spreading all layers at level. Top with thawed whipped topping, swirling top decoratively. Crush remaining 3 Oreos and sprinkle over cake. Return to freezer; freeze overnight.
- To serve, remove side of pan, then waxed paper. Cut into wedges.
Great recipe! I wanted a middle layer like the Dairy Queen cakes so I mixed more crushed Oreo cookies with Skor bits, then I stirred in some Butterscotch sauce til it was a good consistency and put that between the two icecream layers - yummy!
I made this cake years ago, and it was such a hit! I used the ice cream sandwiches around the outside, coffee ice cream in the middle and spread fudge topping over the top, and sprinkled with roasted, salted, and crushed pistachios on top. More of an adult ice cream cake.
It was great!! My family loved it! Very easy to make. I made one with mint chocolate chip, vanilla, and dark chocolate ice creams. The other was layered with cookies and cream, vanilla, and strawberry. I put a layer of fudge topping in each cake. Delicious!!