Recipe by LorrieK
This recipe originally called for ground beef, but we now try to avoid red meat and have discovered we enjoy the dish every bit as well with ground turkey. Who knew cabbage could be so delicious?!!
- 1 large head cabbage, cored and coarsely shredded
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb ground turkey (or ground beef)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 32 ounces spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup long grain rice
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a 5-quart dutch oven over medium heat. Cook cabbage with salt until tender, stirring occasionally. Drain well.
- Cook ground turkey and onion in large skillet until juices evaporate and meat is well-browned. Add spaghetti sauce, mushrooms, water and rice. Heat to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a 9 x 13 baking pan, layer 1/2 of the meat sauce, 1/2 of the cooked cabbage, and 1/2 of the cheese. Repeat.
- Bake 20 minutes or until heated through.