1 hr 35 mins
Ground turkey or bulk Italian sausage meat may be substituted for ground beef --- I also added in a small chopped green bell pepper into the ground beef mixture
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 cups water (you might need more water)
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced
- 2/3 cup dry breadcrumbs, divided
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (optional or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups pasta sauce
- 3 cups ricotta cheese (or use 2 cups ricotta and 1 cup creamed cottage cheese)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten (or use 2 small eggs)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, divided (can use more)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley (can use fresh chopped parsley)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (set oven rack to lowest position).
- 2Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- 3Bring about 5 cups water to a boil in a saucepan.
- 4Add in the sliced zucchini; simmer for 3 minutes or until just crisp-tender; drain on paper towels or a clean tea towel then cool.
- 5In a skillet cook the ground beef with onion, dried chili flakes, basil and oregano until the beef is no longer pink; drain fat.
- 6Add in garlic and continue cooking the beef until lightly browned.
- 7Add in the pasta sauce; cook for about 10-15 minutes, season with salt and pepper; remove from heat.
- 8In a bowl mix together the ricotta with egg/s, garlic powder, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, dried parsley; mix to combine, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 9Arrange all of the zucchini slices in the bottom of the baking dish (the slices do not have to be in one layer) then sprinkle with about 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs.
- 10Dollop HALF of the ricotta mixture over the breadcrumbs, then cover with HALF of the beef mixture, then sprinkle about 1 cup mozzarella cheese on top.
- 11Repeat the layers with remaining 1/3 cup breadcrumbs, ricotta mixture, then meat mixture (reserve the remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese for the top after baking).
- 12Sprinkle 1/2 cup or more Parmesan cheese over the top of the meat mixture.
- 13Place the baking dish on a baking sheet to catch any spills.
- 14Bake uncovered for about 44-50 minutes or until heated through.
- 15Sprinkle remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese on top and return to oven for another 5-8 minutes.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Layered Ground Beef and Zucchini Lasagna Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (579 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 793.5
- Calories from Fat 430
- Total Fat 47.8 g
- Saturated Fat 24.4 g
- Cholesterol 200.9 mg
- Sodium 1548.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 19.2 g
- Protein 51.0 g