Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
I adapted this Italian dish, and it has become a family favorite
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups thin white sauce, heated
- 1 cup tomato sauce, heated
- 1 pinch paprika
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- Mix ricotta, potatoes, eggs, parmesan and salt. Add flour. Mix. Chill one hour.
- Pinch small pieces of dough the size of a thumb. Drop pieces of dough in boiling salted water. Cook 8 minutes Drain.
- Place half of gnocchi in a baking dish. Add half of mozarella cheese, white sauce, paprika and tomato sauce. Repeat with second layer.
- (To make white sauce: Melt butter. Stir in flour. Slowly pour in milk and beat over heat until it forms a thin sauce).
- Bake 20 mins 375°F.
This was a very fun recipe to make. Like playing! And very tasty--pure comfort food. I thought it might need a touch more flavor, however. Next time I think I'll try a spaghetti sauce with seasonings, mushrooms or something like that in place of the tomato sauce. Thanks for sharing!