Recipe by Leslie in Texas
An Asian interpretation of the layered dips that are so popular! This always goes quickly whenever I've made it.
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup catsup
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 -5 drops Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- 3⁄4 cup cooked chicken (shredded or chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup carrot (grated or finely diced)
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted peanuts, chopped
- 3 tablespoons green onions, sliced, with some tops
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
Cream Cheese Layer
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon milk
Directions See How It's Made
- For the sauce: Combine the water, brown sugar, and cornstarch in a saucepan and mix well.
- Cook over medium heat until the brown sugar and cornstarch dissolve, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the catsup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco sauce; simmer until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Let stand until cool.
- For the chicken layer: Combine the chicken,carrots,peanuts, and green onions in a bowl and mix well.
- Stir in the soy sauce,cilantro,gingerroot,sesame oil, and garlic.
- Chill, covered, in the refrigerator.
- For the cheese layer: Beat the cream cheese with the milk until light and fluffy, scraping the bowl occasionally.
- To assemble: Spread the cream cheese mixture over the bottom of a flat 12 inch plate.
- Spread with the chicken mixture.
- Drizzle the sauce from a spoon over the chicken layer in a decorative pattern.
- Chill, covered, until serving time.
- Serve with rice crackers.