Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
Looks beautiful, tastes divine.
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cups pineapple chunks
- 1 cup red seedless grapes
- 2 medium bananas, sliced
- 2 medium oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 medium grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- 1 pint strawberry, sliced
- 2 kiwi fruits, peeled and sliced
- In a medium saucepan, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; cool completely.
- Layer fruit in a glass serving bowl.
- Remove cinnamon stick from the sauce; pour sauce over fruit.
- Cover and chill for several hours.
I made this for a church women's group function. I doubled the recipe and layered the fruit in a large trifle bowl. It looked so beautiful. The citrus-y dressing was just delicious and the touch of cinnamon was extra special. This recipe is stunning in looks and delicious in taste. Thanks :)
I am not a big fan of fruit salad with sauces. I prefer to just have a bowl of simple cut up fruit instead where the flavor of the fruit really shines. And that was my plan for my Mother's Day brunch yesterday but as I was cutting up the fruit and tasting it, I was pretty disappointed in the quality of the fruit. It just wasn't sweet and juicy enough. So I decided to try this recipe and I was very pleased. The fruit was still simple but it enchanced it quite a bit. I had different fruits than those listed- strawberries, blueberries, rasberries, blackberries, fresh pineapple and cantalope but they all worked well with the sauce. Everyone really enjoyed it. I did only chill if for a couple of hours and I thought that was perfect. When I went back later that afternoon some of the fruit was getting mushy and the syrup was starting to overtake the simplicity of the fruit. Overall, we really enjoyed this dish. Thanks for the recipe!
I used oranges, bananas, pineapple, and strawberries and this was really wonderful. Even better than I anticipated - the sauce is subtle but wonderful. Won't use bananas again because they got mushy in the leftovers.