Top Review by noway
Absolutely wonderful! I used your Recipe #136292 with my changes, and used 2 medium eggplants. We will get at least 6 servings out of this, maybe 8. I increased the mozzarella to 3 cups and used panko instead of breadcrumbs. Thanks for posting!
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 large eggplant (peeled and cut into about 1/2-inch slices)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (or as needed)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided (can use more if desired)
- 3 cups prepared marinara sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease an 11 x 7-inch baking pan.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs with water until combined.
- In a shallow dish combine the breadcrumbs with seasoned salt, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, black pepper and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Dip the eggplant slice firstly into the egg mixture then coat into the breadcrumb mixture pressing down with hands to adhere the mixture to the eggplant, repeat with all slices.
- Place all the egplant slices on a onto a large a jelly-roll pan (the slices should be all breaded before browning).
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brown the slices 1 or 2 at a time on each side (about 4 minutes per side, after browning return the slices to the jelly-roll pan).
- TO ASSEMBLE; arrange one-third of the slices in a single layer into the bottom of the baking pan.
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, then about 1/2 cup mozzarealla cheese.
- Repeat the layer twice.
- Spoon about 3 cups marinara sauce over the top.
- Bake covered with foil at 375 degrees F for 30-35 minutes.
- Uncover then sprinkle 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese then about 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese on top, return to oven and bake uncovered for about 10 minutes.