Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
You won't even miss the meat after trying this --- use your own favorite marinara sauce for this or see Kittencal's Marinara Pasta Sauce (Vegetarian)
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 large eggplant (peeled and cut into about 1/2-inch slices)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (or as needed)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided (can use more if desired)
- 3 cups prepared marinara sauce
- Grease an 11 x 7-inch baking pan.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs with water until combined.
- In a shallow dish combine the breadcrumbs with seasoned salt, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, black pepper and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Dip the eggplant slice firstly into the egg mixture then coat into the breadcrumb mixture pressing down with hands to adhere the mixture to the eggplant, repeat with all slices.
- Place all the egplant slices on a onto a large a jelly-roll pan (the slices should be all breaded before browning).
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brown the slices 1 or 2 at a time on each side (about 4 minutes per side, after browning return the slices to the jelly-roll pan).
- TO ASSEMBLE; arrange one-third of the slices in a single layer into the bottom of the baking pan.
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, then about 1/2 cup mozzarealla cheese.
- Repeat the layer twice.
- Spoon about 3 cups marinara sauce over the top.
- Bake covered with foil at 375 degrees F for 30-35 minutes.
- Uncover then sprinkle 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese then about 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese on top, return to oven and bake uncovered for about 10 minutes.
Absolutely wonderful! I used your Kittencal's Marinara Pasta Sauce (Vegetarian) with my changes, and used 2 medium eggplants. We will get at least 6 servings out of this, maybe 8. I increased the mozzarella to 3 cups and used panko instead of breadcrumbs. Thanks for posting!
DH and I loved this! The only thing I did different was I didn't have enough breadcrumbs so I used half breadcrumbs and half panko crumbs and seasoned as directed. I served it with Kittencal's Marinara Pasta Sauce (Vegetarian)#136292, whole wheat spaghetti and a green salad. Thank you for such a wonderful recipe Kittencal. I will be making this again!
My family absolutely LOVED this recipe! This is the recipe, along with my slight adjustments, that we will use from now on to make Eggplant Parmesan! :) I used about 4 Japanese eggplant because that's the only eggplant we find in the Philippines. ;) I also added a mix of grated parmesan and romano cheese, and some regular spegetti sauce for the marinara. Turned out fantastic. Made this for Kittencal's tag a thon.