Prep 24 mins
Cook 20 mins
Aina was from Finland, and like the rest of us arriving in Quebec City, wanted to learn French to enjoy the culture while she was here. There was a small group of us; two from the U.S., one from QC, Sweden, Japan and Finland. Aina hosted a luncheon and this marvelous concoction was served with a glass of white wine and a crusty bread. Never had I enjoyed anything as much and had to have the recipe. Aina returned to Finland, but left fond memories behind of warm exchanges, fun walks, great conversations, and the ladies luncheon!
- 1 large roasted chicken (ready cooked)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 10 ounces smoked ham (cubed)
- 7 ounces cubed cheese (, Jarlsberg, Emmenthal or similar)
- 2 lbs unpeeled shrimp (approx. 1 lb. cooked)
- 1 head iceberg lettuce (broken in small pieces)
- 1 thinly sliced leek (, white part only)
- 1⁄2 lb small peas (fresh or frozen & thawed)
- 1 sweet red pepper (cut into strips)
- 6 miniature tomatoes
- 1⁄2 pint uncooked rice
- 1⁄2 pint mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 pint sour cream
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 bunch fresh dill (chopped fine)
- 1 cucumber (sliced)
- To prepare this beautiful salad you have to do some things in advance.
- Boil the rice in chicken bouillon.
- Let cool.
- Skin and debone the chicken; cut into strips.
- (I buy the chicken ready cooked in the supermarket, but you can roast your own).
- Cut cheese in small bite-size cubes.
- Cut ham in small cubes.
- Clean and cook shrimp and keep chilled.
- Defrost peas if not using fresh.
- Wash leek thoroughly and slice thin.
- In a large bowl, mix 1/2 chicken, mayonnaise, sour cream, spices, mustard and leek and let it rest overnight in refridgerator.
- Serving Day: In successive layers, arrange lettuce, rice, mayonnaise/chicken mixture, shrimps, peas, ham, cheese, and balance of the chicken.
- Topping/Decoration: Halved tomatoes, shrimps, cucumber, chopped dill, and red pepper.