Aina was from Finland, and like the rest of us arriving in Quebec City, wanted to learn French to enjoy the culture while she was here. There was a small group of us; two from the U.S., one from QC, Sweden, Japan and Finland. Aina hosted a luncheon and this marvelous concoction was served with a glass of white wine and a crusty bread. Never had I enjoyed anything as much and had to have the recipe. Aina returned to Finland, but left fond memories behind of warm exchanges, fun walks, great conversations, and the ladies luncheon!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large roasted chicken (ready cooked)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 10 ounces smoked ham (cubed)
- 7 ounces cubed cheese (, Jarlsberg, Emmenthal or similar)
- 2 lbs unpeeled shrimp (approx. 1 lb. cooked)
- 1 head iceberg lettuce (broken in small pieces)
- 1 thinly sliced leek (, white part only)
- 1/2 lb small peas (fresh or frozen & thawed)
- 1 sweet red pepper (cut into strips)
- 6 miniature tomatoes
- 1/2 pint uncooked rice
- 1/2 pint mayonnaise
- 1/2 pint sour cream
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 bunch fresh dill (chopped fine)
- 1 cucumber (sliced)
- 1To prepare this beautiful salad you have to do some things in advance.
- 2Boil the rice in chicken bouillon.
- 3Let cool.
- 4Skin and debone the chicken; cut into strips.
- 5(I buy the chicken ready cooked in the supermarket, but you can roast your own).
- 6Cut cheese in small bite-size cubes.
- 7Cut ham in small cubes.
- 8Clean and cook shrimp and keep chilled.
- 9Defrost peas if not using fresh.
- 10Wash leek thoroughly and slice thin.
- 11In a large bowl, mix 1/2 chicken, mayonnaise, sour cream, spices, mustard and leek and let it rest overnight in refridgerator.
- 12Serving Day: In successive layers, arrange lettuce, rice, mayonnaise/chicken mixture, shrimps, peas, ham, cheese, and balance of the chicken.
- 13Topping/Decoration: Halved tomatoes, shrimps, cucumber, chopped dill, and red pepper.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Layered Chicken Salad for a Crowd
Serving Size: 1 (507 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 648.9
- Calories from Fat 323
- Total Fat 35.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 233.6 mg
- Sodium 1571.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 44.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: