1 hr 15 mins
A layered enchilada dish that is creamy and rich with a tangy tomatillo sauce. Delicious! From Bon Appetit September issue of this year. The amount of cheese could easily be reduced for this dish, but mmm...yum! The kids loved it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs large tomatillos, husked, rinsed and halved
- 1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 cups sliced green onions
- 1 bunch very coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 large serrano chili, sliced with seeds
- 12 (5 -6 inch) corn tortillas
- 4 cups cooked chicken
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, cut into strips
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1Preheat oven to 450.
- 2Mix tomatillos, chicken broth and garlic cloves in a large saucepan. Cover and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently until tomatillos are soft, about 10 minutes.
- 3Transfer hot mixture to processor. Add sliced green onions, cilantro and sliced chile; blend mixture to coarse puree (Note: be extremely careful when processing hot liquids). Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- 4Overlap 6 tortillas in a sprayed 13 x 9 pan. Top with half of the chicken strips and half of the mozzarella strips. Pour 2 cups tomatillo sauce evenly over. Top with remaining tortillas, chicken and mozzarella. Pour 1 ½ cups tomatillo sauce over, then whipping cream. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 5Bake until bubbly, about 25 minutes. Cool enchiladas 10 minutes. Serve with remaining tomatillos sauce.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Layered Chicken Enchiladas With Tomatillo-Cilantro Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (370 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 512.1
- Calories from Fat 275
- Total Fat 30.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.9 g
- Cholesterol 138.0 mg
- Sodium 451.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 35.0 g