Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an old family recipe I inherited from Mom. I remember having it as a kid (a long time ago). We still love it today.
- 2 lbs boneless chicken, cut in bite size pieces (mixture of white and dark)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 bag Frito corn chips or 1 bag tortilla chips
- Saute chopped onion and garlic in oil.
- Add chicken pieces and brown.
- Add chilies and chicken soup.
- In a 13 X 9 X 2 baking pan layer 1/2 chicken mixture, 1/2 cheese, a layer of chips, 1/2 chicken mixture and ending with cheese.
- Bake at 350 til bubbly and cheese has melted.
Yum! I used baked tortilla chips, and it was just a tiny bit soggier I think, but still very tasty, without all the fat of fried chips! Yummie!
I requested this on the message boards to use up some extra Fritos. This is definitely different, but I really liked it. Like Rita, it barely covers the bottom of a 13 x 9 pan. I used about 2 snack-size bags of Fritos. I added about a cup of milk to the soup/chicken mixture. I will make this again to use up Fritos. It is very tasty - I had to go back for seconds.
Interesting! I had 2 cups cubed leftover chicken that I used. The chicken mixture just covered the bottom of the pan. I used 10 ounce can of soup and a large onion. It only made 1 layer. I used 1-1/2 cups crushed tortilla chips.Baked for 15-20 minutes.