I cut this recipe out of my local newspaper and altered it slightly to my tastes. This is a great summer supper. Perfect for a hot evening and it looks pretty enough for company when put together in a trifle bowl. Try different lettuces and dressings. It's also a great way to use your garden lettuce, cukes, and tomatoes. Speed up the preparation by using a bag of salad and a bag of shredded carrots. You can make it your own by adding herbs, avocados, artichokes or mushrooms or switching the peas for corn.
- 4 cups bite size lettuce leaves
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 small red pepper, sliced
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen baby peas
- 1 (12 ounce) jar salad dressing, such as marie's creamy italian Ranch, Thousand Island
- 4 -6 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 -2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- sliced black olives (optional)
- Place lettuce on the bottom of a high sided bowl. Layer the onion, peppers, carrots and peas. Spread the dressing over the peas. Place the eggs on top of the dressing and then the tomatoes. Cover with cheese and garnish with olives.