1/1 Photo of Layered Cheesy Tuna and Zucchini Casserole
1 hr 10 mins
A family favorite! --- I would recommend to slice the zucchini fairly thick and you may want to add in some chopped green bell pepper also if desired, I have even substituted cooked chicken breast in place of tuna with great success, I like to combine both mozzarella and cheddar cheeses but of coarse one or the other may be used, I also add in 1 teaspoon garlic powder to the sour cream mixture.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans chunk tuna (I use all white tuna, but light may be used also, or use both)
- 4 cups wide egg noodles (uncooked)
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (rubbed between fingers to release flavor)
- salt and pepper (I use about 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt)
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 large firm roma tomato, chopped
- 1Cook the egg noddles in boiling water according to package directions; drain and rinse under warm water, then set aside.
- 2Drain the tuna and flake with a fork.
- 3In a large bowl, combine tuna, cooked egg noodles, celery and onions; mix well to combine.
- 4In another small bowl, combine sour cream, mustard powder, mayo, Parmesan cheese, milk, thyme, salt and pepper; add into the tuna mixture and toss well to combine.
- 5Set oven to 350°F.
- 6Grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
- 7Spoon HALF of the mixture into prepared dish.
- 8Top with HALF of the sliced zucchini.
- 9Then sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- 10Top with noodle mixture then remaining zucchini.
- 11Sprinkle with more grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
- 12Bake covered with foil for 30 minutes.
- 13Remove from oven and uncover, sprinkle with grated mozzarella cheese, return to oven (uncovered) and bake for another 10 minutes.
- 14Sprinkle chopped tomato over casserole before serving.
Browse Our Top Tuna Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Layered Cheesy Tuna and Zucchini Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (274 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 705.3
- Calories from Fat 408
- Total Fat 45.4 g
- Saturated Fat 21.2 g
- Cholesterol 140.9 mg
- Sodium 1059.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 41.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: