1/1 Photo of Layered Carrots and Rice – Jizer M’tubuq
A wonderfully fragrant and tasty dish using fresh carrots, onion, spices and rice. It's a 1-pot dish and easy to make. It's especially delicious when served with dollops of tart plain yogurt.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel and slice carrots lengthwise then cut each strip into 2 or 3 more lengthwise strips. Bunch together and cut strips into roughly ¼ inches producing diced carrots. Perfection not needed. If you’re lucky enough to have a gadget to do this, that’s great.
- 2Dice the onion.
- 3If you have a rice cooker, the rice into the cooker and add water (according to manufacturer’s recommendation) for rice only. Then place all other ingredients into cooker and stir to mix. Close cooker and allow to go through normal cooking time.
- 4If you don’t have a rice cooker, put all the ingredients into a large pot. Add water to about one finger’s width above the contents in the pot and cover. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce heat to low and allow contents to steam for about 30 minutes.
- 5Traditionally, when the rice is half cooked, it's divided in half, the carrots and onions are laid on the bottom half and the rest of the rice is then laid on top, hence "m'tubuq" meaning "layered". Cover again and continue to steam.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Layered Carrots and Rice – Jizer M’tubuq
Serving Size: 1 (172 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 367.7
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1510.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 4.2 g