1 hr 30 mins
You can use any type of ground, lean meat, crumbled tofu or even lentils in this hearty, sliceable version of cabbage rolls. Cabbage leaves separate layers of the tomatoey meat and rice mixture and the whole thing is baked like lasagne!
My Private Note
3L cass ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup raw converted rice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup raw Minute brown rice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup tomato juice or 1/4 cup vegetable juice
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 10 large cabbage leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1/2 onion, grated
- 1 carrot, finely grated
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1Combine converted rice and water in a saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook 10 minutes. Rice will still be firm. Drain and transfer to a bowl.
- 2Stir in raw Minute rice, tomato paste, tomato juice, seasonings and 3 ½ cups of crushed tomatoes. Set aside.
- 3Meanwhile, place cabbage leaves in a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Let stand 10 minutes, then drain and blot dry.
- 4In a large pan, heat olive oil and brown beef and onion.
- 5Stir in carrot and celery, and cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 6Add to the bowl with the rice mixture, stir in well.
- 7Preheat oven to 375ºF and grease a deep casserole dish.
- 8Pour half of the remaining crushed tomatoes into the bottom of the casserole dish.
- 9Top with two cabbage leaves, then ¼ of the rice mixture. Repeat layering 3 times, finishing with the last two cabbage leaves.
- 10Top with the last of the crushed tomatoes.
- 11Cover and bake 1 hour.
- 12Remove lid and bake a further 15-20 minutes.
- 13Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
- 14Cut into wedges and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Layered Cabbage " Un-Roll " Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (163 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 142.3
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 26.3 mg
- Sodium 374.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 11.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: