Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
You can double the ingredients and bake in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract (or use 2 teaspoons vanilla)
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped almonds (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups blueberries (preferably fresh blueberries)
- 3 tablespoons butter (to use with topping)
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Set oven to 350 degrees (set oven rack to second-lowest position).
- Grease a 8-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs and almond extract; beat for about 4 minutes.
- Add in yogurt; mix to combine.
- In another bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture; mix just until combined.
- Gently stir in chopped almonds (if using) and blueberries.
- In a small bowl combine all topping ingredients together.
- Pour half of the cake batter in prepared baking dish, then sprinkle with half of the sugar mixture.
- Top with remaining batter.
- In a small bowl mix together 3 tablespoons softened butter with remaining half of the brown sugar mixture; sprinkle over the top of the cake.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes or until the cake tests done.