Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
You may adjust the amount of taco seasoning to taste, the jalapeno peppers are only optional, this is really good!
- 1 lb ground beef (or use Italian pork sausages, casings removed)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper (seeded and finely chopped) (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups salsa
- 1 cup corn kernel
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix (I use 1/2 package)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 4 cups coarsly crushed tortilla chips (can use more)
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided (or use Monterey Jack cheese)
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch casserole dish or a 3-quart oval baking dish.
- In a large skillet cook the ground beef with onions, garlic, green bell pepper and jalapeno pepper until completely cooked; drain fat then add in taco seasoning mix (you may add in more than 2 tablespoons if desired) cook stirring for 2 minutes, then season with salt and pepper to taste, remove from heat then mix in salsa, corn and sour cream.
- Place HALF each of the ground beef mixture, black beans, 2 cups tortilla chips then 1-1/2 cups shredded cheese (or to taste).
- Repeat with remaining ground beef, beans and then 2 cups crushed tortilla chips, leave the remaining 1-1/2 cups cheese to sprinkle on top the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Bake at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes or until just heated through.
- After cooking sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese on top, you can return to oven to melt if desired.