Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a delicious spring or summertime dessert. You can also prepare in a trifle bowl with multiple layers. I have found that I must double the amount of cream layer and strawberries for a trifle.
- 1 purchased angel food cake
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) container whipped topping
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water or 1 cup strawberry juice, divided
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
- Tear angel food cake into chunks and layer in bottom of 9x13-inch glass baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, mix together cream cheese and powdered sugar.
- Fold in whipped topping.
- Spread over chunks of angel food cake to form 2nd layer.
- In a small saucepan, combine Jello, sugar and 1/2 cup water or strawberry juice.
- Dissolve cornstarch in remaining water; stir into gelatin mixture.
- Cook over medium heat until thickened.
- Stir in strawberries to coat all slices; cool.
- Spread on top of cream layer.
- Chill until served.
Wonderful desert.Will be fixing it in a trifle bowl for Easter Sunday
Well after some initial problems with a typo in the recipe making me question how much jello to use, I must say this recipe still earns 5 stars from me! The only thing I found was you have to spread the cream cheese/cool whip layer with care & take your time or some of the cake pieces tend to come up out of the pan. This is super easy with the storebought cake and tastes and looks great. Like a big strawberry shortcake really, yet somewhat easier to serve and take along somewhere. I took it to my M & FIL's for dessert for Easter Dinner and it was enjoyed by all! I served each serving with additional Cool Whip from the spray can on top. It was a nice light ending to our big meal. Oh, and the typo has since been CORRECTED, so this recipe is good to go now! Thanks, sbsbea...all's well, that end's well! :)