Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
A rich, decadent bread pudding from Southern Living.
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 453.59 g white bread, sliced and divided
- 226.79 g package cream cheese, softened
- 9 large eggs, divided
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 14.78 ml vanilla extract, divided
- 295.73 ml almond filling
- 236.59 ml butter, melted and divided
- 591.47 ml half-and-half
- 0.25 ml salt
- 29.58 ml almond filling
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 59.14 ml slivered almonds
Amaretto Cream Sauce
- 118.29 ml amaretto liqueur
- 29.58 ml cornstarch
- 354.88 ml whipping cream
- 118.29 ml sugar
- Coat a 13- x 9-inch pan with cooking spray. Arrange 4 1/2 bread slices in bottom of prepared pan, cutting slices as necessary to fit pan.
- Beat cream cheese, 1 egg, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth. Spread half of cream cheese mixture over bread.
- Whisk together 1 1/4 cups almond filling and 1/2 cup melted butter. Spread half of almond mixture over cream cheese mixture. Repeat layers once, using 4 1/2 bread slices, remaining cream cheese mixture, and remaining almond mixture.
- Cut remaining bread slices into 1-inch cubes, sprinkle evenly over almond mixture.
- Whisk together remaining 8 eggs, remaining 2 teaspoons vanilla, half-and-half, and salt; pour over bread cubes. Cover and chill 30 minutes or until most of egg mixture is absorbed.
- Whisk together remaining 1/2 cup melted butter, 2 tablespoons almond filling, 2 tablespoons sugar, and egg yolk until blended. Drizzle evenly over bread pudding; sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake at 325° for 1 hour or until set. Serve warm or chilled with Amaretto Cream Sauce.
- Combine amaretto and cornstarch, stirring until smooth.
- Cook cream in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, just until bubbles appear; gradually stir in amaretto mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and boil, stirring constantly, 30 seconds. Remove from heat; stir in sugar, and let cool completely.
Oh my! This is something to try....the best bread pudding we have ever had....very good recipe if you want to impress people...