1/3 Photos of Layer Cake With Caramel Frosting
1 hr 5 mins
NOTE: This is a very dense cake. If you like a fluffier cake, use your favorite two layer yellow cake recipe and just try the yummy frosting.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening (Crisco)
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1For cake, cream together shortening and softened butter and sugar until very light and fluffy.
- 2Add eggs and beat well.
- 3Combine flour, baking powder and salt, and add dry ingredients alternately with milk (3 additions of dry, 2 of milk).
- 4Beat only until well blended but do not overbeat.
- 5Fold in vanilla extract.
- 6Pour into two well greased and floured 10 inch layer pans (or 3 9 inch pans) and bake in a preheated 350 degree (Fahrenheit) oven for about 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- 7Remove from oven, turn cake pans upside down on counter on waxed paper.
- 8In a few minutes, remove pans from cake layers and let them cool completely before making the frosting.
- 9When cake layers have cooled, make frosting. Melt butter in a heavy pan over medium heat.
- 10Add brown sugar and continue cooking until it melts, stirring and watching carefully.
- 11After sugar is melted, add 1/3 cup milk and stir in well.
- 12Turn burner to medium high, and bring to a full boil, stirring constantly. Boil for at least one minute, but not more than two minutes.
- 13Remove from heat and pour over powdered sugar in a metal or heat proof bowl.
- 14Beat well for about 10 minutes, adding more milk as needed if mixture is too thick (it will set up and get thicker as it cools).
- 15Mix in vanilla extract.
- 16Fill and frost layers immediately before frosting sets and becomes very hard to spread.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Layer Cake With Caramel Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (133 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 500.4
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 72.6 mg
- Sodium 216.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 72.8 g
- Protein 3.4 g